Hurray, it is pumpkin season! I had an old pumpkin pie recipe I have changed a bit. Poppy seeds can be used not just topping decoration but also as filling in ground form. I think ground poppy seeds with grated pumpkin make a perfect combination in a cake dough. My recipe:
- Mix 3 egg yolks with 300 g sugar.
- Add 2 dl oil (sunflower or rapeseed oil is fine) and mix it well.
- Add 150 g ground poppy seeds, 350 g white flour and a teaspoon baking powder or bicarbonate/baking soda (I usually use half and half). Mix it well again.
- It is a bit dry, but then add 450 g grated pumpkin and mix it well - the dough will become soft and juicy.
- While preheating the oven to 180 grade, whip the 3 egg whites and mix it carefully with the dough.
- Fill up your favorite silicone forms. You can also decorate it with dried fruit (I used dried plum). They might sink during the baking, but never mind. They will give a nice extra twist to the cake.
I love this cake because it is fast and easy to make, it is light and fluffy and the combination of the poppy seeds and the pumpkin makes it special.